Firstly, Bouchercon is a massive festival – almost 2000 writers, readers, bloggers and industry folks all poured in from across the world for the mystery convention that ran from Thursday September 15th to Sunday September 18th. The atmosphere was electric!
Plus, it was held in New Orleans this year – a city unlike any other that I’ve visited – loud, bright, dirty, magical, shiny. A place of many contradictions!
It’s super hard to pick just ten cool things as in truth it was a whole week of cool, but I’ve had a go at picking out just a few highlights in words and pictures …
- Watching the hilarious IT ONLY TAKES A MINUTE panel with the brilliantly funny Mark Billingham, Laura Lippman, Martyn Waites and Alex Marwood and chaired by John Connolly
- Hanging out on Bourbon Street with the most wonderful group of UK crime writers
- Drinking a ‘Hand Grenade’ cocktail – like rocket fuel, but with more bang!!
- Music, music everywhere!
- Seeing Darth Vader dancing in the street
- Being on the Continuous Conversations panel chaired by the lovey Austin Lugar
- Seeing Jeff Abbott (one of my thriller writing heroes) on the YOU ALWAYS HURT THE ONE YOU LOVE panel
- Singing with THE SLICE GIRLS (SJI Holliday, AK Benedict, Alexandra Sokoloff, Louise Voss, Harley Jane Kozak) at the legendary HOUSE OF BLUES
- Playing up to the fabulous (and masterfully stern) Heather Graham on stage at HOUSE OF BLUES as she sang When You’re Good To Mama
- Seeing the genius that is Mark Billingham, Stuart Neville and Doug Johnston performing live at the HOUSE OF BLUES
Next year Bouchercon is being held in TORONTO. I’m pretty sure you’re going to want to be there!
Visit the website to find out more www.bouchercon2017.com/registration/
And check out the fantastic article written in The Independent by Andy Martin on the Bouchercon experience here